Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Question about tanning/ base tans?

I never tan in the summer, only burn.


If I go to a tanning salon and get a base tan prior to sun exposure, will my chance of getting sunburned reduce or ... become nonexistant?


Or will the base tan last for a few days and then just go away, leaving me pale and vulnurable to being burned?





Any helpful info welcome.


THANKS.
Question about tanning/ base tans?
Well, you run just as much risk of getting burnt in the tanning bed. They will burn you, too, if you stay in there too long without protection. Honest sunlight is so much better for you, you even get vitamin D from it and don't cook your ovaries. A good way to build up a good base tan is to use 15 protection sunscreen all over when you go out in the sun, and reapply it as directed or when it gets rubbed, washed or sweated off. That lets just enough sun in for you to get that base tan, and then you can start decreasing your SPF if you must go darker. I kept 15 on my little girl who hadn't ever had a suntan when we went to the beach last summer, and it worked! She looked really beachy when we left without getting burnt. We did some research in Chemistry in college and found that anything higher than 15 is not really that much justifiably better at blocking sun. Best wishes!





P.S. I just re-read your question, and yes, you can get a base tan from a tanning bed, all that's happening is your melanin in your skin reacting to the light and releasing pigment. If you've noticed, though, tanning bed tans don't seem to be as golden as regular suntans. I don't know if skin reacts differently to artificial light, but the "tan" you get there lasts (I think) as long as one you get from the sun--a tan's "life" is determined by how long it takes for your skin to shed it's top layers and produce new ones. Tan life can be extended by using moisturizers, especially ALOE-BASED ones. (Some are water-based--look at the first ingredient listed.) Hope this helps!
Question about tanning/ base tans?
Yes if you get a base tan it is less likely that you will burn in the sun, if you use a regular bed which has the same UV as the sun, but you will still want to use SPF. (just a little) But you do have to maintain your base tan or it will fade. Once I have the color I want I decrease to once a week at the tanning bed. But to get the base tan I am going three times a week. I use the regular bed twice and then the stand up on the third day just to get rid of the lines and things. Plus the stand up has a different UV and helps bronze.





You do want to buy good tanning lotion from the salon, the more expensive the better. And moisturize at least once a day. I put regular lotion on in the morning and after I shower at night. Hoped this help!

fruit baskets

No comments:

Post a Comment